Saturday, October 9, 2010

A Simple Yet Powerful Poem On "Mother"

LINES FROM A YOUNG POET
Kanwar Preet Singh is only 12 years old. His father, Berjinder Singh, is from the village of my birth, Hadali. The family were among the last of the Hindus and Sikhs to leave Hadali and migrate to India in 1947. Most of them were rehabilitated in and around Ambala in Haryana. Some time later, Kanwar Preet migrated to the United States of America. He sent some of his poems to his uncle, Iqbal Singh, living in Ambala, who passed them on to me. I was impressed that one of such tender age could write so well. I have chosen one entitled “Super Mom” for the benefit of my readers:
Mom, you’re a wonderful mother,
So gentle, yet so strong.
The many ways you show you care,
Will make me feel I belong.
You’re patient when I’m foolish;
You give guidance when I ask;
It seems you can do almost anything;
You’re the master of every task.
You are a dependable source of comfort
You’re my cushion when I fall.
You help me in times of trouble;
You’re there whenever I call
I love you more than you know;
You have my total respect
If I had my choice of mother,
You’d be the one I’d select!

Published in The Telegraph under   - KHUSHWANT SINGH

No comments:

Post a Comment